- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Report: Arsenal Keen On Highly-Rated Saints Defender
Arsene Wenger has added Southampton defender Calum Chambers to his long list of potential signings should Bacary Sagna fail to sign an extension at the club, according to the Daily Mail.
Sagna looks increasingly likely to leave the Emirates when his contract expires in June as so far we’ve been unable to come to an agreement over a new deal. Understandably, the boss has been drawing up a list of potential replacements and we’ve been linked with a whole host of right-backs in recent months.
The latest name to be linked is Southampton’s highly-rated full-back Calum Chambers – who’s been hugely impressive this season since breaking in to the saints first team. The 19-year-old came through the South Coast clubs youth academy and has already established himself as an England Under-19 regular, and is tipped for big things.
Obviously he looks to have a bright future ahead of him but I’d question the logic in signing such an inexperienced player to replace someone as established as Sagna, particularly when we have Carl Jenkinson waiting in the wings.
I still hold hope that Sagna signs a new deal, but if he does leave I think it’s important we bring in an experienced right-back who can slot in straight away. I don’t think Jenks is quite ready to be a regular just yet but he wouldn’t be too pleased if we brought in another youngster who’ll potentially block his progress.
Let’s see how the next few weeks go but the longer negotiations continue to stall with Sagna, the more it looks like we’ll be in the market for another right-back this summer.