- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
Why Arsenal Fans Should Be Happy Spurs Won Last Night
Tottenham edged into the last 16 of the Europa League last night with a 3-2 aggregate win over ‘European giants’ Dnipro.
Former Gunner Emmanuel Adebayor was the hero, scoring two goals as Spurs came from two-down to beat the Ukrainians 3-2 after scoring three goals in 13 minutes. Here’s why Arsenal fans should have been celebrating when our rivals progressed…
For those who don’t know, Spurs will now face Benfica in the last 16 with the first leg to take place at White Hart Lane on Spursday, sorry, Thursday the 13th March, kicking off at 8.05pm….just two days before our North London Derby.
We travel to the Lane on Sunday the 16th March so their clash with Benfica is going to leave them with little preparation, and more importantly, little rest time before the big game.
We are also in action that week, but play our second leg against Bayern Munich on Tuesday night, giving us two full days extra to prepare for the game and crucially, two extra days recovery time.
Tottenham’s record after playing on a Thursday night is extremely poor this season, losing five of their nine games following Europa League fixtures, including defeats to West Ham (at home), Newcastle (at home) and Norwich.
So Spurs having to play just days before the Arsenal gave has to give us a much bigger advantage going into the derby than if they had crashed out last night and had the full week off leading up to the game.
Some fans are saying they don’t care about anything, they could never cheer Tottenham on. Which is fine, but what’s best for Arsenal and our title hopes should come before everything else and Spurs winning last night was a positive for us as it gives us a better chance of beating them. I don’t think there can be any question about it.
Other fans are also saying they don’t want Spurs winning a trophy, but they’ll be lucky to get past Benfica, never mind going all the way. The likes of Juventus, Napoli, Porto and Valencia are all still in the Europa League and they’ll take care of Spurs eventually if they managed to beat Benfica anyway.
So personally, I was happy when Spurs won last night. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t go as far as cheer when Adebayor scored and I would have pissed myself had that Dnipro free-kick in the 92nd minute crept in, but overall it was a positive thing they went through….
What do you think? Do you agree?