- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Reports: Wenger ‘Working Hard’ On Deal To Re-Sign Former Captain
Don’t shoot the messenger but reports today are claiming that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is already ‘working hard’ on a deal to try and bring former captain Robin van Persie back to the club this summer.
In what would be a hugely controversial decision, it’s being reported that the boss has already spoken with the board about financing the move and they expect the deal would cost less than the £24m we sold him for 18 months ago.
The news comes after reports from Italy last week suggested that Wenger had met with van Persie’s agent where he was told that the striker is unhappy at Manchester United and wants to return to the Emirates this summer.
United are understood to have informed the player they wont stand in his way if he wants to leave, and Wenger is believed to be warming to the idea of re-signing him and has now set the wheels in motion to try and get a deal done.
The Dutchman has certainly not looked himself this season and fuelled suggestions that he’s unhappy after slamming United after their 2-0 defeat to Olympiakos on Tuesday. There have also been rumours that he’s not happy with David Moyes training techniques, but a return to Arsenal? Really?!
I don’t see it myself. van Persie is a hate figure in north London after the way he left the club in 2012 and it would be extremely difficult for him to worm his way back into the team. I’m sure Wenger felt let down by him, which makes these reports even more questionable.
Also, would the Arsenal players take him back? I know I wouldn’t be best pleased about it if I was someone like Aaron Ramsey, after RVP basically told Wenger the Welshman wasn’t good enough. That turned out well, eh Robin?
Obviously we need another striker this summer and although van Persie is still a fine player, I simply can’t see anything coming of these rumours. Too much has gone on for him to come back and I think we need to look for a younger player who hasn’t got his injury record. You just know if we did re-sign him he’d have another injury plagued season.
So, thanks but no thanks.
Would you take van Persie back?