- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Madrid Striker “Has Agreed To Join Arsenal”
Guillem Balague has caused quite the stir on social media after claiming that Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata has agreed to join Arsenal this summer.
The well-known Spanish journalist was speaking on Sky Sports show ‘Revista de La Liga’ on Tuesday night, when he suggested that the young striker had already agreed personal terms over a summer switch to the Emirates.
However, before we get too excited, Balague stressed that NO DEAL has been agreed with Real Madrid as yet, but Morata will encourage the La Liga club to accept our offer once we make a formal bid.
The pundit was then forced to clarify his remarks on Twitter last night after some fans were suggesting the move was already a done-deal.
Morata has agreed to join Arsenal IF, I repeat IF, I insist IF, clubs agree fee. He will push for Madrid to accept Arsenal's offer
— Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague) February 25, 2014
Morata was heavily linked with a move to Arsenal in January and at one point a six-month loan deal looked on the cards until Carlo Ancelotti insisted the striker had to remain at the Bernabeu.
The 21-year-old has found first team football hard to come by at Madrid, making just 1 league start this season, with Karim Benzema and fellow youngster Jesse both preferred by Ancelotti.
I was all-for the player joining us on loan for the second half of this season but if Arsene Wenger is only going to sign one striker this summer, I’m not sure Morata is the man we should be looking at as we need to be signing an established name if we want to really push on to become regular trophy-winners.
There’s little doubt we need another front-man this summer, and when Nicklas Bendtner goes you could argue we need two, so I’d happily see Morata come in as a squad option as long as we sign a ‘marquee’ name as well. However, it’s unlikely Morata would agreed to join if he’s going to be 3rd choice again, so it’s going to be interesting to see what Wenger decides to do this summer.
Would you be happy if Morata was the only striker we signed?