- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
Report: Liverpool Table ‘Substantial Offer’ To Arsenal Defender
Liverpool have apparently made Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna a ‘substantial contract offer’, according to reports today.
The Frenchman’s £60,000-a-week contract expires in the summer and talks over an extension at the Emirates have stalled. Arsenal officials have so far offered Sagna a two-year deal on similar terms to what he’s on now, while the defender is holding out for a three-year contract on improved wages.
Up until now, all the interest has come from abroad with the likes of Monaco, PSG, Galatasaray and Inter Milan all though to be interested and have offered him a superior contract to what we’re prepared to give him.
However, the Daily Star are reporting today that Liverpool have now offered Sagna a ‘substantial’ contract offer. It seems the newspaper’s source is Sky Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio, but he has very little concrete information such as how much in wages the Merseysiders have supposedly offered or for how many years.
The Star also claim that Sagna has told team mates he’s leaving Arsenal, but again there is very little evidence to back up this statement. There’s also the small point of it being an illegal approach if Liverpool have been in touch with Sagna as he’s not able to talk with clubs in England until the summer.
While the report is paper-thin, there could be some foundation to Liverpool’s interest as Sagna is an excellent right back and no doubt Brendan Rodger would like to take him to Anfield, but I really don’t see Bac leaving Arsenal to join Liverpool. If he leaves he’ll go abroad.
Arsenal officials are meant to be holding further talks with the player people later this month in the hope of finding a break-through, but the longer it drags on the more it looks like he’s off.
It will be a huge blow as he’s been a terrific servant to the club but with him now being 31, you can understand our reluctance to hand him a lucrative three-year contract, especially given his injury problems over the past couple of seasons.
I’m still hopeful we can persuade him to stay, but if he goes I’m not worried about him joining Liverpool.