- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
- Key duo fit to start in 4-2-3-1: My Arsenal XI vs Swansea
- Arsenal eye formal bid for Spanish international – reports
Arsenal Ace “Has Told Wenger He Wants To Leave This Summer”
Arsenal ‘captain’ Thomas Vermaelen has apparently told boss Arsene Wenger that he wants to leave the Emirates Stadium this summer, according to the players agent.
Vermaelen was an instant hit at Arsenal after joining from Ajax in 2009 and went on to take the captains armband when Robin van Persie left in 2012.
However, he lost his place in the starting eleven last February after a poor showing away at Tottenham and Arsene has stuck with Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny ever since. The duo have struck up an impressive partnership and although Vermaelen is technically still the club captain, he has only been used when either Per or Kos has been injured or suspended.
There was talk he could leave in January in order to get more regular first team football under his belt ahead of the World Cup, but a move failed to materialise and he remained at Arsenal.
However, it looks like he could finally be off at the end of the season with his agent, Alex Kroes, claiming that the defender has already told the boss he wants to move on this summer.
‘Thomas has told Wenger that he wants to leave Arsenal this summer.’ [Source: Metro]
Napoli have been strongly linked with the 28-year-old in recent weeks but Kroes insists it’s all just speculation. When asked about a deal to join Napoli already being agreed, he said:
‘Are the stories true? What you’ve read in the newspapers and on the internet is unfounded,’
‘Things that have been reported are not true, and I say this with full knowledge of the facts.
‘Some outlets are beginning to speculate, but that’s all it is – speculation.
‘Now is not the time to talk.’ [Source: Metro]
Vermaelen has been a true pro during the last 12 months. It can’t have been easy for him to have gone from first team regular and captain of the club, to a fringe player overnight.
He hasn’t gone moaning to the newspapers or complained, he’s just put his head down and got on with it. He’s now 28 so he deserves to be playing week-in, week-out and I can’t see Wenger standing in his way this summer, so a move is almost a certainty.
It’s going to be extremely difficult to find a better third-choice centre-back and we really need to bring in two central defenders as we currently only have three available, so Arsene is going to have to get busy in the market this summer.
Will you be disappointed to see Vermaelen leave this summer? Who should replace him?