- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Arsenal Handed Injury Boost As Bayern Ace Ruled Out
Arsenal have been handed another injury boost ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Bayern Munich after winger Xherdan Shaqiri was ruled out with a thigh injury.
The Swiss international scored twice as a weakened Bayern team eased past Freiburg 4-0 on Saturday afternoon to cement their place at the top of the Bundesliga table.
However, Shaquiri was forced off around the hour mark after suffering a thigh injury and was replaced by the returning Bastian Schweinsteiger.
Bayern confirmed on their official website that the winger will now miss the first leg of our Champions League tie next week and is likely to be out for two weeks.
“Shaqiri will definitely miss the first leg of the round 16 clash with Arsenal on Wednesday, and the Bundesliga away match at Hannover next Sunday.” A statement on their website read
The German giants are already going to be without Frank Ribery after he was ruled out following surgery on a buttock injury, and Shaqiri was a potential replacement for the Frenchman, so thankfully they’ll be without two dangerous attackers.
Unfortunately, Pep Guardiola still has an array of talent available to him so it’s still going to be a tough ask to progress to the last 8.