- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
Report: Wenger May Move For Falcao After Being Handed £100m Warchest
Yesterday’s big announcement was the confirmation of Arsenal’s £150m five-year partnership with PUMA.
At the press conference on Monday Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis all-but confirmed that Arsene Wenger has agreed to sign a new deal with the club and says it will be announced when the time is right.
Gazidis also insisted that money would be made available to the boss for transfers following the record-breaking sponsorship deal, although it wasn’t clear exactly how much he would be given. He said:
“We have always supported Arsene, the board has always been completely behind him as has (owner) Stan Kroenke, and Arsene has always been committed to this football club,” said Gazidis.
“So we are comfortable with the position. We are relaxed about it.
“Arsene will be extending with us. And at the right time we will make that announcement.
“The long-term goal is to increase commercial revenues and invest in our squad,” he added.
“This is very important step in terms of progression. This is the biggest deal in our history and the money from the deal will be available to the club from this summer.”
The Daily Star suggests that Wenger has agreed a new three-year extension and is delaying making an announcement until the future’s of Per Mertesacker and Bacary Sagna have also been resolved.
According to the newspaper, after signing his new contract, Wenger will be given a £100m ‘warchest’ in the summer and could use it to mount a £50m+ move for Monaco hitman Radamel Falcao.
The report doesn’t go into any real detail about our supposed plans or interest in the player other than to point out that Falcao is a PUMA sponsored athlete, so they could just be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.
Obviously Arsenal fans will be excited by the prospect of Wenger having a significant budget to play with in the summer and we’d love to make a move for Falcao (once he’s recovered from his serious knee injury!), but we’re also keen to see him strengthen this month to help us make that final push towards the title during the second half of the season.
The summer can wait, our priority should be NOW and it will be a lot easier to try and lure the likes of Falcao to the Emirates if we’ve just won the Premier League.