Arsenal Dealt Blow As ‘Top Target’ Rules Out Move

By on January 20, 2014

Arsenal have been dealt a blow in their pursuit of Alvaro Morata with the striker telling Real Madrid he wants to stay at the Bernabeu.

Morata has been described by many newspapers as Arsene Wenger’s ‘top target’ during this transfer window with the boss looking to bring in a striker on loan until the end of the season to offer support to Olivier Giroud up front.

A move looked on the cards last week when the 21-year-old was quoted as saying he may be forced to leave Madrid in search of first team football, while boss Carlo Ancelotti hinted he could let the youngster leave if he told the club he was unhappy.

However, any hopes Arsenal had of luring Morata to the Emirates appear dead in the water after the player revealed on Sunday that he has spoken to Madrid and told them he wants to stay.

“Despite all the stories that have emerged, I am happy here,” he said.

“I have spoken with the club and the coach and told them I want to stay here.

“This is the team I have spent my entire life at and I will stay here and do whatever the club asks of me or needs of me, even if it’s to play a minimal amount of games.” [source: Mirror]

Morata was speaking after coming off the bench to score during Madrid’s 5-0 win over Real Betis on Saturday and it seems he’s now been persuaded to remain at the Bernabeu.

Unless things take another drastic turn over the next 10 days, it seems we’re going to have to look elsewhere if we want to bring in another striker this month.

Reports this morning have claimed we’re due to hold talks with the agent of Mirko Vucinic about a potential move from Juventus, so we’ll have to see how that one progresses.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>