- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
Wenger Responds To Draxler & Berbatov Reports + Update On Per/Sagna Contract Talks
Arsene Wenger has been holding his press conference this morning and among the various things he’s been talking about, he gave his thoughts on the club being linked with Julian Draxler.
The German sensation has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent weeks and there were even reports the 20-year-old had been left impressed after being shown around the clubs training facilities.
When quizzed by journalists about his interest in the player and whether he’d visited London Colney, Wenger’s response was typically witty. He told Arsenal.com with a wry smile:
on being close to a deal for Draxler…
on the rumour he had a look around the training ground…
That’s like a non-identified flying object. Some see them everywhere.
I think it’s pretty clear we have an interest in Draxler but Wenger isn’t giving much away. I’d still be majorly surprised if anything happened on that front this month.
Arsene was then once again asked about his reported interest in signing Fulham’s Dimitar Berbatov and while he admitted he rated the Bulgarian, he insists no approach has been made and hinted no new striker would be signed because Bendtner and Sanogo are close to returning.
on being linked with Berbatov…
You should ask the question, do I rate Berbatov as player? Highly. Have we made any approach to sign Berbatov? No.
on whether he will sign Berbatov…
I don’t think so because we have Bendtner who is coming back, we have Yaya Sanogo who is making very good progress in training. Of course we have lost Theo Walcott and that for us was a big blow but hopefully we can compensate. We have not made any approach.
Let’s hope Wenger is just trolling us with these comments. It would be criminal if we don’t bring in another attacker before the window closes. Don’t ruin our chances of winning the title Arsene, by relying on Bendtner and Sanogo!
The boss was also asked for an update on contract extension talks with Per Mertesacker and Bacary Sagna, and he says things are progressing well and they hope to announce something soon.
on new contracts for Mertesacker and Sagna…
We are making good progress and hopefully we can announce something soon.
It will be a massive relief if we can get the two defenders tied to new deals, particularly Sagna as his contract expires n the summer. Fingers crossed we can get them both to sign on the dotted line soon.