- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
Arsenal Linked With Shock Raid On Liverpool
Some transfer news to bring you this evening and Arsenal are understood to be weighing up a move for Liverpool right-back Glen Johnson, according to reports today.
The 29-year-old has been a first team regular at Anfield since moving from Portsmouth in 2009 and continues to play regularly under Brendan Rodgers this season.
However, his contract expires in 2015 and talkSPORT claim the Merseysiders have made it clear that he will have to take a pay cut if he wants a new deal and they may consider cashing in on him at the end of the season if he hasn’t signed an extension.
This hasn’t gone down well in the Johnson camp and talks have now stalled, leading to speculation Johnson could be on the move.
talkSPORT suggest that Arsene Wenger is a long-term fan of the defenders and is interested in bringing him back to London if Bacary Sagna fails to sign an extension with the club.
Sagna’s contract expires in the summer and fresh terms have yet to be agreed and it seems Wenger is looking at his options.
But is Johnson the answer? In my opinion, certainly not! His form has dipped badly this season and he’s nowhere near the level of Sagna. I must admit I was shocked when I read the report as I really don’t see Wenger bringing in a player who’s pushing 30 and clearly past his best.
Hopefully the link with Johnson is nothing more than idle transfer speculation and we can get Sagna tied to a new deal as soon as possible. He’s been superb this season and fully deserves his two-year contract.