- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
“Arsenal’s Offer Was Very Good For The Club And Great For Me”
Spanish striker David Villa has confirmed that he came close to joining Arsenal last January before Barcelona blocked the move.
Villa was strongly linked with a switch the Emirates 12 months ago before eventually staying at the Nou Camp and the player has revealed just how close he came to joining Arsenal.
The 32-year-old has claimed that he asked to leave Barca last winter as he wasn’t getting enough playing time and agreed a switch to north London after we had a ‘very good’ offer accepted.
However, the Catalans pulled out of the deal and forced Villa to stay as they felt they didn’t have enough cover up front.
Villa eventually went on to sign for Atletico Madrid in the summer and has settled in well at the Vicente Calderon in a side that’s currently above Real Madrid in the table and pushing Barcelona for the La Liga title.
Villa told reporters:
“Arsenal’s offer was very good for the club and great for me, but they (Barcelona) did not deem it feasible for me to leave at that time.
“I was told that I was needed.
“I’m happy (that I joined Atletico) because my goals and performance on the field have helped the team to achieve their goals.
“After all, as you know, I think more collective than individual.
“The club has always shown me great affection and fulfilled their promise to sell me in the summer. I have only words of gratitude for Barca.”
I must admit I was gutted when we didn’t sign Villa last January as I thought he’d have been an excellent addition. He’d have been a useful little player to have in the squad and he’d certainly have lightened the load on Olivier Giroud up front.