- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
AGENT: “Wenger Obsessed With Buying Real Madrid Duo In January”
Some interesting news coming out of Spain with FIFA agent Francois Gallardo claiming that Arsene Wenger is ‘obsessed’ with signing Karim Benzema and Raphael Varane from Real Madrid in January.
Gallardo was on Spanish football show Punta Pelota when he made the audacious claim, stating that Wenger wants to strengthen this winter and his two key targets were Benzema and Varane.
The agent went on to suggest that the boss had become obsessed with signing the Madrid duo and believes Arsene will do whatever it takes to land them. However, he also feels that our interest will end in vain as Madrid wont entertain any bids in January.
“Arsenal want to strengthen in the winter and will go for Benzema and Varane.
“Karim is the darling of Wenger, who is obsessed with him and Varane but the operation is not viable.
“Arsene Wenger wants Karim Benzema, he is the apple of their eye and they will try and get him by any means possible.”
“Karim, obviously, will not leave in January. It is unfeasible.
“The other player that Arsene has in mind if Raphael Varane. His obsession extends to both in January, but it is unworkable.”
Wenger’s interest in Benzema is nothing new. He’s tried to sign him on several occasions in the past and as we desperately need more firepower up front, no doubt the boss will cast his eye over the Frenchman once again.
However, it’s something of a surprise to hear he’s also ‘obsessed’ with Varane, too. I recall Arsene talking highly of the centre-back last year but where would he fit in if we did manage to lure him away from Madrid (which we wont any time soon)?. We already have Thomas Vermaelen on the bench because he can’t displace Per Mertesacker or Laurent Koscielny, and I’m not sure Varane is going to leave the Bernabeu to join him on the subs bench.
A move for Beznema would make total sense, but Varane? Not so much. Madrid won’t sell the young defender anyway, but I’m not sure I agree with Gallardo regarding Benzema. The striker isn’t having his best season in Spain and has been jeered by his own fans after some disappointing displays. If Madrid could find a suitable replacement, I think they’d sell if the offer was right.
Do you think we have a chance of signing Benzema? Do we need Varane?