- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Wenger Eyeing Dzeko, Benzema, Llorente & Hernandez
Arsene Wenger has made a striker his top priority in January and is monitoring the situation of Eden Dzeko, Karim Benzema, Javier Hernandez and Fernando Llorente, according to the Telegraph.
The newspaper states that Wenger is hoping to make a ‘major’ signing this winter to boost our title chances and has stepped up his interest in the quartet as he knows we need competition for Olivier Giroud up front.
Giroud has been excellent so far this season but has started EVERY game in both the Premier League and Champions League and the club have decided to modify the 27-year-old’s training regime to reduce the risk of injury.
Currently, the only alternative we have is Nicklas Bendtner but it’s clear he’s not up to the job and is desperate to secure a move away when the window opens, so a new frontman is a must.
However, it’s not easy to buy a top class striker in January and while Dzeko and Hernandez have both found first team football hard to come by in recent months, it’s difficult to see either Man City or Man Utd agreeing to sell and strengthen a title rival mid-season.
A month ago it looked like Llorente was odds on to leave Juventus after struggling to settle following his free transfer move from Athletic Bilbao. But he’s been playing more regularly and scoring goals in recent games, and he admitted earlier this week that he’s now content with life in Turin, so a move in January looks unlikely unless his situation changes again over the coming weeks.
Bemzema’s situation at Madrid is an interesting one as he’s currently their first choice striker but has endured a difficult start to the season that’s seen him jeered by his own fans in recent weeks.
There has been a huge amount of speculation that Wenger will try and buy him in January and Madrid are believed to be willing to do business at around £30m, but only if they can find a suitable replacement.
So of the four we’re understood to be looking at, I’d say Benzema is the most realistic but it will rely on Madrid being able to bring in someone of equal, or better, quality. And there won’t be many of those available in January, so we may end up having to look at short-term options for the second half of the season and pray that Giroud doesn’t get injured.
What striker would you go for in January? Any of the above or someone else?