- Preview: Sunderland v Arsenal, duo ruled out, Ox starts + prediction
- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
Arsenal Open Contract Talks With Defender
Arsenal have opened talks with Per Mertesacker over a new long-term contract and are confident he’ll commit his future to the club, according to reports today.
The 29-year-old has 18 months left on his current deal – worth around £65,000-a-week – and Arsene Wenger is believed to be desperate to tie him down to fresh terms.
The Daily Mail claim that the clubs hierarchy have already opened initial talks with Per’s representatives over a new four-year deal that would include a sizable pay rise.
Discussions are understood to be going well with the club confident the centre-back will sign on the dotted line before the New Year.
The giant German has been rock-solid over the past 12 months and has forged an excellent partnership with Laurent Koscielny at the heart of our defence.
Mertesacker comes under unfair criticism due to his lack of pace but he more than makes up for it with intelligent position play and his excellent reading of the game. As has been pointed out on many occasions, you don’t win over 100 caps for the German national team if you’re a bad player.
I hope Per does sign a new deal soon as he’s been key to our success so far this season and we don’t need any uncertainty over his future going into the second half of the campaign.
Do you think Mertesacker deserves a new deal?