- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Wenger ‘Not Given Up’ On Trying To Sign French Winger
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has not given up hope of luring Clement Grenier to the Emirates Stadium despite the Lyon winger rejecting a £6m switch in the summer, according to reports.
The 22-year-old has been on Wenger’s radar for some time and the boss spoke highly of the player at the beginning of the summer after admitting he was keeping an eye on his progress.
This led to widespread reports that we tabled a £6m bid with the club seemingly eyeing a bargain as Grenier had just 12 months to run on his contract.
However, the winger opted to turn down the chance to move to Arsenal and signed a new long-term deal at the Stade de Gerland, but did leave the door open to a potential future move. When asked about the possibility of joining us one day, he said:
“I have a contract which now runs until 2016. We’ll see what happens here in a year. Anyway, I told the President that whatever happens, I will not leave my club for free.” Grenier said in August
The Express claim Wenger has continued to monitor the player this season and may make another attempt to sign him in January as he looks to take advantage of Lyon’s financial troubles.
The Ligue 1 outfit have huge debts and may be forced to sell-off some of their star names, so we could have more luck this time around if the player is open to a move to the Premier League.
While we’ve enjoyed an excellent start to the season, we certainly lack a bit of pace and width in the team so Grenier could be a useful addition to the squad. Let’s see how this progresses in January…