- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Prepare Bid For New Zealand International
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is considering a £6m bid for West Ham defender Winston Reid, according to reports today.
The 25-year-old has been a surprise hit in the Premier League since the Hammers came back into the top flight and has been a major component in Sam Allardyce’s solid defence this campaign.
The boss is believed to have been monitoring the centre-back’s progress over the last 18 months with chief scout Steve Rowley drawing up extensive reports on the player.
The club have been hugely impressed with Reid’s display’s and the Daily Mail are one of several media outlets who are reporting we are ready to test West Ham’s resolve with a £6m bid when the transfer window re-opens in January.
The newspaper suggests Wenger is keen on bringing in another centre-back in January and Reid’s eligibility to play in the Champions League makes him a favourable option.
The 6’3″ New Zealand international is contracted to the Hammers until 2015, so I’m not sure the reported £6m will persuade them to sell but I would certainly welcome his signing if we could pull it off.
We don’t require a ‘big name’ player at centre-back as the Koscielny-Mertesacker partnership is progressing well, so a solid squad player such as Reid – who also has Premier League experience – would be useful.
But I’m not totally convinced Wenger is in the market for another centre-back – despite what the papers say. The boss seems content with his options at the back as Bacary Sagna can cover in the middle if needed, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t end up bringing in another defender in January.
What do you think? Do we need another defensive option?