- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
German Starlet Names Arsenal Among ‘Dream’ Clubs
German starlet Julian Draxler has named Arsenal as one of the club he’d love to join when he leaves Schalke, according to Sky Sports News.
We were heavily linked with the 20-year-old during the final stages of the summer transfer window but eventually signed Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid.
Reports claim Arsene Wenger is still interested in bringing the exciting midfielder to the Emirates and may even make a move when the transfer window re-opens in January, although Schalke have insisted they won’t sell mid-season.
However, when the Germans do decide to cash in it seems we’re in the running as Draxler has named Arsenal as one of the ‘big clubs’ he’s dreaming of playing for.
When asked what his ideal next move would be, the youngster said:
“The big two in Spain, Real and Barcelona, Bayern (Munich) and a few others from England, namely Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea.
“I owe Schalke a lot, I have always been at Schalke. I need to emphasise this. But I’m not so rooted here that I could not tear myself away.
“I can honestly say that it is my dream to play for one of the big clubs at some point.
“You don’t have to be playing for the very top clubs in Europe to draw attention to yourself, but if you want to achieve the great goals that the world-class players have, then one of them is playing at the biggest clubs in the world.”
Obviously we’re facing some formidable competition and some may feel when push comes to shove, we’re likely to miss out due to the clubs we’re up against. However, we might just have an ace up our sleeve as it seems Draxler is a huge fan of a our record signing, Mesut Ozil, so perhaps that will sway things in our favour. He said:
“I’ve always said I’m a big fan of Mesut Ozil, who ventured abroad and developed at Real Madrid into a world-class player,”
“Just to be a team-mate of his (with Germany) makes me quite proud.”
There’s little doubt Draxler is a huge talent and I’d love to see him come to north London, but we’ll have to see who else is involved in the bidding when Schalke decide to sell.