- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal Confirm Goalkeeper Move
Arsenal have confirmed this afternoon that young goalkeeper Damian Martinez has joined Sheffield Wednesday on a one-month loan deal.
Martinez is highly-rated by the club and is thought to have a bright future ahead of him but with the 21-year-old currently fourth-choice behind Szczesny, Fabianski and Viviano, his chances of first team experience are limited at present.
While he’s a regular in Arsenal’s under-21 side and an Argentinean youth international, it seems he’s taken the chance to drop down to the Championship in order to try and gain more first team action.
Owls boss Dave Jones confirmed that Martinez will now push Chris Kirkland for the first team jersey at Hillsborough:
“He’ll give Chris Kirkland competition and he needs that,” he told BBC Radio Sheffield.
“He played really well in a friendly on Friday and made some great saves. Arsenal think very highly of him.”
Exposure to first team football is important in the development of young players so hopefully Martinez can get some minutes under his belt for Wednesday.
He has represented Arsenal twice before, making his debut during a 6-1 win over Coventry City in the Capital One Cup before playing in that thrilling 7-5 epic against Reading in the following round.