- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Arsenal Keen On £8m Dutch Defender
Some transfer gossip for you tonight and the Daily Mail are reporting that Arsene Wenger has his eye on highly-rated Dutch defender Martins Indi.
The 21-year-old was close to making an £8m move to Everton in the summer but the deal eventually fell through and it seems Wenger is now ready to try and gazump the Toffees to the powerful centre-back.
The Mail claim that the boss wants to bring in a versatile defender in January and Indi is under serious consideration.
Former Gooner and current Feyenoord manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst has admitted that they will be powerless at stopping Indi from making a move to a top European club.
‘He is very good and strong. It is not for nothing he’s a first-choice here and with the Dutch national team. He will make the move to a foreign club in the long term.
‘When the time comes and he wants to leave, he will leave the club. We are very happy with him, but we know we cannot compete with the top European clubs.’
After Johan Djourou, Sebastian Squillaci and Ignasi Miguel all left the club in the summer (Miguel on loan), I fully expected a centre-back to come in. But Wenger ended up playing Bacary Sagna in the middle and it appeared that another defender became less of a priority.
The defence has looked strong in the opening months of the season and with the likes of Thomas Vermaelen, Nacho Monreal and Carl Jenkinson all in reserve, we really don’t need another player pushing for a spot in the first team, unless we have an injury crisis at the back over the coming weeks.
I could see us perhaps bringing in young defender who’s willing to be fourth choice for a couple of years but whether that man would be Indi remains to be seen. He’s now a first team regular at Feyenoord and has 11 caps for the Dutch national team, so it doesn’t sound like he’d be prepared to put his career on hold and make do with a place on the bench at Arsenal – if he’s lucky.
So while the Mail claim we’re interested and Indi may be an excellent prospect, I just don’t see anything coming of this.
Do you think we need another defender?