- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Team News Update: Sagna A Doubt Plus Latest On Cazorla & Sanogo
It’s back to Premier League action this Sunday as we take on West Bromwich Albion less than two weeks after knocking them out of the Capital One Cup.
Arsene Wenger has given Arsenal.com a team news update with news on defender Bacary Sagna, midfielder Santi Cazorla and striker Yaya Sanogo.
Let’s start with the bad news and it seems Sagna has picked up a slight hamstring problem during our superb 2-0 win over Napoli on Tuesday. The boss says he was set to have a scan on Thursday to assess whether he’ll be able to feature this weekend.
Hopefully he can make it as we’ve been pretty solid at the back in recent weeks and it would be a shame to have to alter things, but there’s no need to take a risk on the Frenchman as we’ve got a more than able deputy in Carl Jenkinson.
It seems talk of an early return for Cazorla was wide of the mark after the playmaker claimed during a Twitter Q&A last week that he would be back to face West Brom. Wenger has now confirmed the Spaniard won’t feature against the Baggies and is on course to return after the international break.
It’s unfortunate as it would be great to have him available, but again there’s no need to rush him back and it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if he was ruled out of the international break. If he played for us on Sunday, Spain may decide to call him up, so I’m happy enough for him to miss out and have two weeks off.
There is some good news with Wenger revealing that Sanogo is due to return to action after the break as well, so we’ll have another option in attack.
Here is Wenger’s update:
on the team news..
The only uncertainty we have could be Bacary Sagna who had a little hamstring problem. He has a scan today [Thursday] and from then on we will assess his situation. Everybody else came out of the Napoli game without a major problem so they should all be available.
on Santi Cazorla (ankle)…
He is not in contention. But he could be not far after the international break.
on Yaya Sanogo…
He is on a good way after his back problem. He will be the same, after the international break.
So we’re slowly getting our players back and by the end of the month we should also see Walcott and possibly Podolski return as well, so suddenly we could have a wealth of attacking talent available. As long as we don’t pick up any more injuries in the meantime!