Wenger Rules Out Re-Signing Robert Pires

By on September 30, 2013

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has dashed any hopes that he was considering re-signing legendary midfielder Robert Pires.

The Frenchman was photographed training with the squad last week which promoted some over-enthusiastic Gunners to suggest we might be about to offer the 39-year-old one last chance at the big time.

Wenger has done it before with Henry, Campbell and Lehmann, so with our current injury situation to attack-minded players, some Arsenal fans thought there could be a chance.

However, when quizzed by reporters today at his pre-match press conference about the chance of re-signing Pires, Wenger simply smirked and said he was just here to practice but it offers the youngsters at the club a fantastic opportunity to learn from one of the all-time greats.

Wenger told Arsenal.com:

“No Robert Pires will not join us, he was born in 1973. He is still very fit and a great player and we are always happy to have him in training but he just occasionally comes in to practice,” said Wenger.

“It’s a great opportunity [for the young players]. He practices with the young players with the under-21 team, and I feel always there is no better education than playing players at that age with top-level players.”

As lovely as it is to reminisce about ‘Bobby’ and his past contributions to the club, it was never realistically going to be on the cards that he would return in any sort of playing capacity.

But I certainly agree with Wenger that him being about the training ground and practicing with the youngsters will do them the world of good. Players like Pires have so much to offer in terms of experience so the kids should soak it up while they have the chance.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>