- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Alex Song Wants To Leave Barcelona – Would You Take Him Back?
According to Spanish publication AS, Alex Song is looking to leave Barcelona in January after failing to establish himself at the Nou Camp.
The Cameroonian international left Arsenal 14 months ago to join Barca in a £15m deal, following Cesc Fabregas in making the move from north London to Catalonia.
However, like Cesc, Song has struggled to force his way into the starting eleven on a regular basis. He made 25 starts in his first season which wasn’t bad considering the quality of the players he’s competing against in his position, but he has so far managed just 1 start this term – his only significant appearance of the season.
Song clearly isn’t in favour under new boss Tata Martino so it’s no surprise to read that he’s seriously considering ending his time with Barca when the January transfer window re-opens.
It’s a World Cup year and Cameroon will be in Brazil if they manage to get past Tunisia, so Song needs to be playing regularly to secure his first team place and a move away this winter could be on the cards.
But would you take him back? I think we certainly missed him last season as we had no ‘proper’ defensive midfielder in the team. Arteta did an excellent job but he’s not an out-and-out defensive midfielder.
However, with the addition of Flamini and the resurgence of Ramsey, I don’t see any place for Song back at Arsenal. I was never a huge fan of his anyway, and rumours are he was a terrible professional who always turned up late for training and didn’t always give 100%, and this was the reason Wenger decided to sell, so it would be a huge shock if we were even interested in re-signing him.
I don’t think there will be many Arsenal fans who are either shocked he hasn’t made it at Barcelona or particularly care, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes the way of Hleb and drifts off into footballing obscurity over the next few years.
What do you think; would you take Song back?