- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Report: Arsenal Working On £40m Deal To Sign Schalke Startlet
Arsenal are frantically trying to push through a deal for Schalke wonderkid Julian Draxler with Ivan Gazidis willing to pay £40m for the teenager, according to reports today.
As we enter the final few days of the transfer window, ‘panic mode’ is in full swing and it seems the latest target is 19-year-old German sensation Draxler.
We’ve heard a lot about this kid and we’ve been linked with him a few times in the past, but the Mirror claim that we’ve now opened formal talks with Schalke with Ivan Gazidis said to have been working hard on Thursday and Friday to try and get a deal done for the attacking midfielder.
The board are willing to pay £40m, but the newspaper says that Arsene Wenger has ‘major reservations’ about paying that amount. What a shocker, eh?! Wenger refusing to pay the going rate? Never!
Sure, £40m is silly money for what will be raw potential but that’s the market we’re working in and even £40m might not be enough as Schalke are understood to be demanding in the region of £60m.
While a deal remains unlikely – if you believe the German journalists on Twitter – interestingly, Schalke signed Kevin Prince-Boateng from AC Milan on Friday so have a ready-made replacement for Draxler should they sell.
I’m not convinced a 19-year-old is exactly what we need right now. We need experienced players who are ready to come straight in and make an immediate impact on the first team, but we’re so desperate for new signings I’ll be delighted if we can get this deal done.
I’m still optimistic that we’ll bring in at least 2 or 3 players, but time is running out and we’re playing a dangerous game that could backfire and kill our season before it’s even really begun.
What do you make of the Draxler story? Do you think we’ll buy?