- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Wenger Ready To Move For Guilavogui If Cabaye Bid Fails
Arsene Wenger is ready to make a move for St Etienne midfielder Josuha Guilavogui if he fails to land Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye, according to reports today.
We had an opening £12m bid for Cabaye rejected by the Geordies almost two weeks ago and speculation suggests we’ll go back in with an improved bid of around £15m over the coming days.
The 27-year-old Frenchman has basically gone on strike and is refusing to play until Newcastle sell him, with reports claiming PSG could also enter the bidding.
Alan Pardew said today that the player was only 50:50 to go as they won’t allow him to leave on the cheap, with their valuation thought to be nearer £20m.
It’s doubtful Wenger will bid that high so the Daily Mail claim that he’s lined-up St Etienne midfielder Josuha Guilavogui as a fall-back option.
The 22-year-old is a beast of a player and is a proper defensive midfielder, standing at 6ft 2in and he has a great engine. Whether he’ll be able to cut it in the Premier League remains to be seen though. That’s the big plus point for Cabaye. While he might not be the most imposing of midfielders or the out-and-out defensive midfielder I think we need, he’s proven in the Prem.
The newspaper also mentions Manchester City’s Gareth Barry as a potential option but I’m not even going to contemplate that one. It’s too depressing.
Not long left now, Arsene is certainly making us sweat isn’t he…….
What midfielder would like us to sign?