- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Report: Arsenal Offered Chance To Buy Casillas
Arsenal have been offered the chance to sign out-of-favour Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas, according to reports today.
We’ve already been linked with the likes of Karim Benzema, Mesut Ozil and Angel Di Maria but with the attacking trio all committing their futures to Madrid, it seems the next on the list to be touted around is Casillas.
The 32-year-old hasn’t started a competitive game for Madrid in nearly seven months and it appears he’s now on the market as the Spaniard’s look to raise money to fund their move for Gareth Bale.
Former boss Jose Mourinho froze Casillas out of the first team after signing Diego Lopez last January but he was expected to be reinstated as No.1 when Carlo Ancelotti took over in the summer.
However, surprisingly the Italian has opted to stick with Lopez and once again consign Casillas to the subs bench for their opening two games leading to speculation he could be set to end his love-affair with Real.
The Daily Star claim Madrid have offered us the chance to sign the keeper with Casillas understood to be open to the idea as he wants guaranteed first team football to ensure he keeps his place in the Spain national team ahead of next summers World Cup.
I’m not sure what to make of it to be honest. On the one hand the idea of Casillas leaving Madrid seems ridiculous. He’s been at the club his entire career and was destined to be a one-club man. However, the fact is he isn’t playing first team football and no player, especially one who’s widely regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the world, enjoys sitting on the bench – particularly in a World Cup year.
So you just never know. But would Arsene go for him? Bringing in Casillas would be a huge dent to Szczesny’s confidence and the Pole has been in excellent form of late – despite his occasional foray’s off his line.
I personally think Casillas will remain at the Bernabeu until at least January. He might consider a move then if he’s not won his place back, but a move to Arsenal is unlikely in my humble opinion.
Do you think Arsenal have any chance of signing Casillas?