- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
Wenger Admits He ‘Likes’ Mata, Coy On Why His Agent Was At Emirates
Arsene Wenger has admitted he ‘likes’ Juan Mata and claims he’s heard the attacker is available for transfer, but doubts whether Chelsea would be prepared to do business with a rival.
If you were on Twitter before the Fenerbache game you might have seen that Mata’s dad – who also acts as his agent – was sitting in the directors box at the Emirates last night. Obviously this led to rumours of a possible move to Arsenal and fans were drooling at the prospect of the Spaniard making the switch to north London.
After the game, Arsene Wenger was quizzed by reporters on what Mata’s father was doing at the match and he gave a typically cryptic answer when asked if he was invited as a personal guest of the club:
“No. I don’t know. Maybe.” Wenger said
[source: the Mirror]
Arsenal narrowly missed out on signing Mata two years ago before he joined Chelsea and the boss was asked if he has any interest in signing the 25-year-old this summer, to which he replied:
“Well, yes. I like him.
“I have heard like you, because I watched the game last night, that Juan Mata could be on the market. I don’t know… there is anyway a reluctance in England to sell to each other.”
[source: the Mirror]
So Wenger thinks Mata could be on the market, he’d like to buy him and his dad/agent was at the game last night. Hmmmm. Sounds a little too good to be true, doesn’t it?
Wenger’s answers were very un-Arsene-like. I’ve seen the video of his interview and he was grinning the whole time and was far more open than he usually is when asked about transfer targets. If there was absolutely nothing in this, I’m positive Wenger would have made that clear.
I’m not letting myself get too carried away as I still think any deal is highly unlikely, but you just never know. Mata is clearly out-of-favour under Mourinho. He was hauled off after 60 minutes against Aston Villa and didn’t even get on the pitch against United.
The arrival of Willian is going to push him further down the pecking order and I’m now reading that Porto winger Christian Atsu is also heading to Stamford Bridge. This would leave them with seven wingers, so at least one if not two are likely to leave before the window closes. Moses is almost certain to go, could Mata be the other?
One things for sure, he’d be welcomed with open arms at the Emirates…..
Do you think Arsenal have any chance of signing Juan Mata?