- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
BBC Reveal Arsene Wenger’s Transfer Shopping List
Arsene Wenger has confirmed at his press conference today that he is looking to bring in ‘special’ players before the transfer window closes and his shopping list includes Karim Benzema, Angel Di Maria, Yohan Cabaye, a defender and a new goalkeeper, according to the BBC.
Despite boasting a transfer kitty in excess of £70m, the boss has only been able to bring in the free signing of Yaya Sanogo so far this summer. This has understandably not gone down well with the fans, but Wenger has promised action during the final week of the window and said today that he’s targetting ‘special’ players.
The BBC claim his hit list includes Real Madrid duo Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria, as well as Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye. If we could bring that trio in, I’d personally be ecstatic, but I’m not holding my breath. Benzema is the unlikeliest of the three but he’s arguably the most important. A world class striker is vital if we’re to challenge for honours this season.
Cabaye is a like-for-like replacement for Mikel Arteta. I’d prefer we were going for an out-and-out defensive midfielder but Cabaye would fit in well with the current set-up, so I’d happily welcome him if we can do a deal.
Di Maria would be a great addition but I’m wondering where he’d fit in. Many are suggesting left-wing – which would call Lukas Podolski’s future into question – but he’s usually deployed on the right for Madrid, and I don’t see Theo going anywhere. Either way, I’d love to see the Argentinean come to the Emirates. You can’t have too many quality players in the squad.
The BBC are also claiming that a deal for Mathieu Flamini is on the cards, and Wenger is looking to bring in a goalkeeper and a defender if he can – although they don’t give any specific names.
That’s sounds about right. The priority for me would be striker, midfielder, defender, attacking midfielder then goalkeeper. A defender who can cover both centre-back and right-back would be idea and the two players currently linked are Micah Richards and Mamadou Sakho. Either would be fine for me.
Goalkeeper wise, it would probably depend on the money we had available. If we splash out big on other positions then Julio Cesar would be a useful addition as he’s available on the cheap. If we can afford it, Begovic must surely be the one we go for.
I’ve detailed how I would spend Arsene’s millions in a post here, feel free to check it out.
What players would you like us to sign this week?