- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Report: Arsenal Eye Shock Move For Unsettled Keeper Casillas
Some interesting news doing the rounds this afternoon with reports claiming that Arsenal are ready to make a shock move for unsettled Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas.
The Daily Mail are one of several newspapers who claim that Arsene Wenger is eyeing an ambitious move for the 32-year-old as he looks to bring in an experienced No.1 before the window closes after growing tired of Wojciech Szczesny’s inconsistent displays.
The newspaper suggests that we’re going to open the bidding at £8m but surprisingly, they claim that Madrid might be willing to do business at around the £15m mark – which would be an absolute steal if you ask me.
On the surface, this report looks more than a little far-fetched. In fact, it seems ridiculous! However, Casillas was deeply hurt by his treatment from former boss Jose Mourinho last year – when he was dropped in favour of Diego Lopez for the second half of the season.
The Spanish stopper was expected to be reinstated as No.1 under new boss Carlo Ancelotti but he was left stunned when the Italian also picked Lopez to start in Madrid’s season opener against Real Betis on Sunday, with Casillas among the substitutes once again.
He’s managed to keep his No.1 jersey for Spain, despite his lack of regular playing time, but surely that wont continue to be the case in to next summers World Cup if Ancelotti sticks with Lopez all season?
It’s a very strange situation. Casillas is a Madrid man through-and-through and is arguably the world’s best goalkeeper. Everyone expected him to retire at the Bernabeu, so there must be something going on behind the scenes if he’s now been snubbed in favour of Lopez under Mourinho and Ancelotti.
So if he is unsettled and wants a move to guarantee first team football ahead of next summers World Cup, let’s make a huge statement and try and bring him to north London. It’s worth a try.
Would you like to see Casillas come to Arsenal?