- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Luis Suarez: I’m Staying At Liverpool
Some interesting quotes coming out of Uruguay this morning Gooners with newspaper El Observador claiming Luis Suarez has told them he is now staying at Liverpool.
The 26-year-old apparently told the paper that the fans ‘affection’ had swayed him into staying at Anfield “for now”:
“For now, due to all of the people’s affection (for me), I will be staying.” Suarez is quoted as saying in the Mirror.
Latin American journalist, Martin Charquero, who works not only as a free-lance journalist but also for GolTv Latin American, claims to have personally spoken to Suarez where again the striker confirmed he’s set to stay at Liverpool and may even sign a new contract extension.
“Luis Suarez confirms to me he will not leave Liverpool. The support of the fans has influenced his decision.”
“Suarez see it as likely that he’ll sign a renewal (extension) to the contract that binds him to Liverpool.”
Hmmmm, so quite the u-turn if these quotes are accurate. If Suarez does end up staying it’s pretty clear what’s happened. It’s nothing to do with ‘affection’ from the Liverpool fans. Simply, Real Madrid or any other big foreign club didn’t want him and LFC refused to sell him to us, so he’s been forced to backtrack and stay another year.
He’ll most likely sign a new deal to show ‘commitment’ and get him back on-side with the fans, but the new contract will have a very clear release clause in it and he’ll be off next summer for a set fee when Liverpool finish outside the top-four again.
I still wouldn’t be surprised if Suarez comes out soon and claims these quotes have been ‘misinterpreted’, and that he still want’s out this summer, but as I’ve always said, a move to Arsenal is highly unlikely. It would be suicide for Liverpool to sell to us and kill their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League before the new season had begun.
Has Arsene got a plan B, C, D or whatever letter we’re now on? We’ll soon find out, only 19 days left of the transfer window. Get ready for Armageddon if we don’t spend big before the window slams shut.
What do you make of these Suarez’s quotes? What striker would you go for now?