- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Luiz Gustavo: I’d Like To Play For Arsenal
Following on from reports this morning that claimed Arsenal were closing in on the signing of Luiz Gustavo, the midfielder has now admitted his interest in joining the club this summer.
Several newspapers reported on Monday morning that we were on the verge of agreeing a deal to bring the 26-year-old Brazilian to north London with his first team opportunities limited at Bayern Munich following the arrival of Thiago Alcantara.
Gustavo has now spoken of his admiration of Arsenal, our style of play as well as boss Arsene Wenger, and said ‘of course I’d like to play for them [Arsenal]‘.
“My contract with Bayern runs until 2015, but it is very important that I play first-team football to keep getting called up for the national team.
“I am in a delicate situation at Bayern, and this needs sorting out. I have personal and professional reasons to move. I have heard about the Arsenal interest. It’s a big club we’re talking about here, so of course I’d like to play for them.”
“Arsenal play a very attractive brand of football and are in the Champions League,” he added. “They also have a very clever manager in Arsene Wenger. Even when Bayern beat them in the last Champions League, you could see they are not pushovers.”
The defensive midfielder only managed 16 starts last season and the increased competition from Alcantara is going to make regular first team football even harder to come by next term, and the player is keen for a move in order to improve his chances of securing a place in the Brazilian national team at next summers World Cup.
“You have to earn a Brazil call-up every week, and one can’t simply think past glories will guarantee a place,” he added.
“There are still a couple of weeks before the transfer window, but I need to keep working. He [Guardiola] has not spoken to me specifically about my situation but personally and professionally there are questions I need to address.”
Other clubs such as Wolfsburg and Napoli have also been credited with an interest but Gustavo has chosen to talk-up a move to Arsenal, so he clearly would jump at the chance to join us. There really is no excuse if fail to tie up this deal.
We want the player, the player wants us, we can easily afford him and Bayern are willing sellers. Let’s get this done and we can then concentrate on strengthening other areas.
What do you make of our interest in Gustavo? Would he be a good signing?