- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Arsenal Receive Boost In Gustavo Pursuit But Chelsea Also Keen
Arsenal have been handed a major boost in their pursuit of Bayern Munich midfielder Luiz Gustavo with German publication Bild claiming he is stalling on a move to Wolfsburg as he wants to come to the Premier League.
The 26-year-old has been told he can find a new club this summer with new manager Pep Guardiola telling him he’s not part of his first team plans following the arrival of Thiago Alcantara from Barcelona.
Arsenal and Chelsea have both been linked with a move this summer but it looked as though Gustavo was set to join fellow Bundesliga side Wolfsburg earlier this week when Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed they had given the midfielder permission to discuss personal terms with the club:
“If Wolfsburg agrees personal terms with Gustavo, we will then negotiate,”
“If Luiz leaves the club, we will not buy another player.” Rummenigge said in the Express
However, German newspaper Bild is now reporting that the Brazilian midfielder is stalling on his proposed move to Wolsburg as he would prefer to move to the Premier League and compete in the Champions League with Arsenal or Chelsea.
Our need for a defensive midfielder is clear for all to see and Gustavo would be an excellent addition. He’s got bags of experience playing for arguably the best team in the world, he can also play in defence if needed, at £15m he’s well within our price-range and I personally think he’d be a steal at that price.
I just don’t understand the hesitation when deals like this come up. Does Arsene think he can get someone better than Gustavo this summer? Is he hoping the price will drop the closer we get to deadline day? Does he even think we need a defensive midfielder?!
Who knows, but I will be majorly pissed if we let Gustavo join Chelsea without even putting up a fight. Bayern want to sell, the player wants to come, he’s available at a reasonable price and would hugely improve the team…..just pick up the phone and get it done Wenger!!!!
Do you think Gustavo would be a good buy?