- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Wenger’s Injury Update: Including Wilshere, Monreal, Vermaelen, Cazorla & Szczesny
The boss has been holding his pre-match press conference today ahead of this weekends Emirates Cup and as well as being bombarded with questions on possible signings, he had just enough time left to gives us a team news and injury update.
Lets start with the bad news. Captain Thomas Vermaelen is set to be out for a further six weeks with a back injury that he picked up while away with Belgian in June. With the ‘skipper’ out many have been calling for reinforcements at the back but Wenger has been trying Sagna out in the middle of defence in pre-season so I wouldn’t be holding your breath over any major centre-back signing coming in before the window closes, but you never know.
Now on to the good news. Nacho Monreal is back sooner than expected and will resume training on Monday. There were rumours he was out until October/November so to have him fit again before the season kicks offs is a real bonus.
This weekend we will also get to see new signing Yaya Sanogo in a Gunners shirt for the first time with the boss confirming both he and Santi Cazorla will be involved in the Emirates Cup action.
Jack Wilshere will also be involved with Wenger saying he’s now 100% fit following nearly two years of ankle problems. Hopefully the injuries are now fully behind him and Jack can start becoming the world class midfielder we all know he can be. Dare I say he’ll be ‘like a new signing’ next season!?
Goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny will also get a run out this weekend after barely featuring in pre-season due to injury. Here’s what Arsene Wenger told the clubs official website:
on Monreal and Vermaelen…
Vermaelen is out for six more weeks [at least before returning to training] and Monreal will start [light] training on Monday. Vermaelen is developing normally but he has a stress fracture in his back which takes time.
on the squad for the Emirates Cup…
You will see Sanogo, you will see Cazorla. On Sunday, you will see both of them.
I consider Wilshere now to be completely available and part of the team. Szczesny is alright too.
I can’t wait for this weekend and getting back to watching some proper football. The Emirates Cup is usually an entertaining affair. It’s just a shame we’re going to be seeing Gonzalo Higuain lining up in Napoli colours and not the famous Red & White.