- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Report: Arsenal In Talks For Spanish Defender
Arsenal entered talks with Malaga on Monday night over a potential swap deal involving striker Nicklas Bendtner and Spanish right-back Jesus Gamez, according to the Times.
Bendtner fell out-of-favour at Arsenal two years ago (perhaps, like me, Arsene couldn’t forgive him for that miss against Barcelona) and has been on loan ever since. His spell at Juventus last season was a disaster. The Dane failed to score and made just 10 appearances – although injuries didn’t help his cause.
After making just 99 league appearances in eight years, Bendtner has been told he has no future at Arsenal and has been trying to find a club all summer. The 25-year-old seemed destined to join Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago but that move collapsed due to his excessive wages demands.
However, the Times are reporting that we could finally get him off the books with the club believed to have entered into negotiations about the possibility of a loan deal that would see experienced right-back Jesus Gamez come to the Emirates.
I know very little about Gamez other than he’s a 28-year-old who’s been with Malaga for over 10 years, is regarded as a solid and dependable full-back and has captained the club.
It’s an interesting proposition and would make sense given Wenger’s recent comments about Bacary Sagna being able to play at centre-back. With Johan Djourou and Seb Squillaci gone and Thomas Vermaelen injured, we’re short in the middle of defence. Many fans have been calling for the boss to buy but in true Wenger-style, it looks like he might use Sagna there if needed. Bringing in an experienced right-back like Gamez would then give him plenty of cover at right back and he’d compete with young Carl Jenkinson if Sagna’s playing in the centre.
If this move comes off, Sagna is likely to head into the new season as both first-choice right-back and fourth-choice centre-back, with Gamez and Jenkinson options on the right, and Monreal and Gibbs on the left.
So it looks like another ‘deadwood’ could be heading out the door, which is great news, but surely it’s about time we started concentrating on bringing players IN to the club?!
What do you make of this potential swap deal? Will you be sad to see Bendtner go?