- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Set To Miss Out On €25m-Rated Attacker
Arsenal look set to miss out on the signing of Brazilian attacker Bernard with the players agent confirming he’ll join either Porto or Shakhtar Donetsk this summer.
Reports in France last week claimed that Bernard was set to undergo a medical at Arsenal last Friday after we had apparently agreed a €25m deal with his current club Atletico Mineiro.
However, these reports proved to be inaccurate and Arsene Wenger insisted we weren’t close to signing the player (or any player for that matter).
Bernard’s father claimed we were interested though, but his Brazilian team mate Hulk has persuaded him to join Porto instead.
“Nothing is decided yet, but we know there is an interest from Arsenal. There has been nothing official from them. Hulk has convinced Bernard that Porto move would be better for him at this stage of his career. Porto would be a better move for his career.” [source: O Jogo]
The attackers agent, Adriano Spadotto, has also confirmed that a move to Porto is on the cards although there is a chance he could still end up at Shakhtar Donetsk:
“I can confirm that is the strongest possibility, but Shakhtar are interested too. He should join one of the two clubs.
“If it is up to me, Bernard will be a Porto player. As I have said, this would be the best solution for him. He would prefer to join a middling, but good, club in Europe rather than risk joining an elite club and not getting the chance to play. Bernard has great interest in going to Porto.” [source: ESPN]
So, it looks like we’re going to miss out on another target. So far this summer we’ve been told by the press that Cesar, Fellaini, Higuain and now Bernard were ‘set for medicals’ and were ‘on the verge of joining’, only to be left empty handed.
Personally, I’m not too disappointed to miss out on Bernard as he’d be a hugely risky signing. He’s just 20-years-old and is unproven outside of Brazil, and at just 5ft 4in, he’s tiny and is likely to take time to adapt to the Premier League. With a price tag of €25m, I think there are better ways we could be spending the money.
Are you disappointed to miss out on Bernard? Do you think he’d have been a good signing?