- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal Transfer News: Gervinho Out, Williams In?
Arsene Wenger is ready to make a loss on Gervinho by selling him to Roma and use the money to reignite his interest in Swansea captain Ashley Williams, according to reports today.
Gervinho has been hugely disappointing following his £11m move from Lille two years ago and it seems that Wenger is ready to cut his losses and cash in this summer.
The Mirror claim that talks took place between Roma and Arsenal on Wednesday where the Serie A outfit tabled a £6.5m offer and made it clear they were willing to hand the Ivorian a four-year deal.
It’s understood we’re hoping to squeeze an extra million out of the Italians as there is also interest from Russia and Turkey, but I think it’s safe to say Gervinho will no longer be an Arsenal player by the end of the transfer window.
He could look like a world beater at times but ultimately his final ball and finishing always let him down. He didn’t quite have what it took to play for The Arsenal but I wish him well at his next club.
The Mirror suggest that we may use the funds from Gervinho’s sale to reignite our interest in Ashley Williams following a couple of injuries at the back. Thomas Vermaelen and Nacho Monreal have both been ruled out with back problems and with Johan Djourou and Sebastien Squillaci now left the club, we’re looking extremely short of cover in defence.
The club have held a long-standing interest in Williams with scouts understood to have been impressed with what they saw last season, but Wenger has so far refused to meet Swansea’s £10m asking price. However, the report suggests the Welsh outfit may lower their demands to £8.5m if a top four club comes in, which may tempt us.
I rate Williams but ultimately he’ll be our fourth choice centre-back when/if everyone’s fit and he can only cover one position, so I’d prefer we went for a younger and more versatile defender but we’ll see what the boss decides to do.
Will you be sad to see the back of Gervinho? Would you like to see us go for Williams?