- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
Blow As Midfield Target Snubs Arsenal Move
Arsenal have been dealt a blow with the news that long-term target Maxime Gonalons has snubbed a move in favour of staying in France with Lyon for at least another season.
The 24-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates Stadium in recent months with Arsene Wenger said to have identified the French international as a potential addition to his midfield this summer.
The boss had his scouts run-the-rule over the player on several occasions last season with chief French scout Giles Grimandi understood to have sent back positive reports, and a £10m bid has been mooted.
Gonalons has admitted he’s had offers this summer and says he’s flattered to be followed by great clubs. However, it seems he’s not ready to leave the Stade de Gerland just yet and he’s set to snub a potential move to Arsenal in favour of staying with Lyon to continue his development in Ligue 1.
‘Things are clear. I’m going to stay at Lyon next season because I still have things to learn and things to prove,’
‘I want to win with Lyon.
‘I have been approached this summer and it’s always good to know that you’re been followed by great clubs.’ He said in the Daily Mail.
The defensive midfielder has three years remaining on his contract with Lyon so the club are not in a position where they’ll have to sell any time soon. Gonalons has recently broken into the French national team set-up, earning 6 caps so far, but it appears he’s turned down the opportunity to work with Wenger at Arsenal.
Maybe this is one for the future, but he’s not going to solve our need for a defensive midfielder next season. Who would you like us to go for next? Capoue? Fellaini? Let us know below.