- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
2013/14 Squad Numbers Revealed Including Sanogo & Change For Diaby
Arsenal have revealed the squad numbers for the forthcoming 2013/14 season with new-boy Yaya Sanogo being handed the No.22 shirt while Abou Diaby has moved from No.2 to No.24.
Sanogo’s free transfer move from Auxerre was confirmed on Monday and Arsenal’s only significant addition to the squad so far this summer has been given the No.22 jersey for next season.
The majority of the first team have retained their numbers from last season with the exception of midfielder Diaby, who after yet another season on the sidelines has seen his No.2 shirt revoked and he moves out to No.24. The move was expected to be honest as he’s only managed 20 appearances in three seasons, so it’s difficult for him to command a ‘first team’ number when he barely gets himself on the training field, never mind the football pitch. I feel it also shows that boss Arsene Wenger no longer feels Diaby is a reliable member of the first team.
There have been rumours online that Per Metesacker may be set to move from his current No.4 (which lead to further rumours that Cesc Fabregas could be returning!) but this is yet to be confirmed as he’s still No.4 on the website today. Here are the squad numbers as on Arsenal.com:
1. Szczesny – 21. Fabianski
3. Sagna – 4. Mertesacker – 5. Vermaelen – 6. Koscielny – 17. Monreal – 25. Jenkinson – 28. Gibbs
7. Rosicky – 8. Arteta – 10. Wilshere – 16. Ramsey – 19. Cazorla – 24. Diaby – 26. Frimpong – 31. Miyaichi
9. Podolski – 12. Giroud – 14. Walcott – 15. Chamberlain – 22. Sanogo – 27. Gervinho – 29. Chamakh – 30. Park – 52. Bendtner
11. Santos – 20. Giroud – 22. Coquelin
I’m surprised Kieran Gibbs hasn’t been handed a higher number as he continues to use the No.28. Perhaps he should be given the No.2 shirt vacated by Diaby?