- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
Arsenal Set To Miss Out On Highly-Rated Defender
As we continue to hear rumours of record bids being put in for the likes of Gonzalo Higuain and Wayne Rooney, it seems Arsenal still maintain an interest at the other end of the market as well with recent reports linking us with highly-rated defender Benjamin Mendy.
Apparently we had a £2.5m offer for the left-back rejected by Le Harve earlier this week and it now seems like we could miss out after the French Ligue 2 outfit confirmed they have accepted an offer from Sunderland – believed to be in the region of £5m.
Le Havre president Jean-Pierre Louvel said:
‘We have reached agreement with Sunderland for the transfer of Mendy.
‘It’s now up to him to reach an agreement with them. We are okay.
‘We were close to an agreement with Lyon, it has not happened but you never know,’ he said.
‘Right now, the only club we are in agreement with is Sunderland and it is now up to Benjamin Mendy to make his choice.
The France Under-19 international must now decide whether he fancies a move to the Stadium of Light but unless another bid comes in that matches Sunderland’s, it seems likely he’ll join Paolo Di Canio side.
The 18-year-old enjoyed an excellent season last year and is highly thought of in France, and it seems his impressive form has earned him a move to the Premier League, with Di Canio on the look-out for a replacement for Danny Rose – who’s returned to Spurs after a very successful year on loan in the north east.
Check out more Arsenal transfer news
Our reported interest was always a little baffling considering we have two very capable left-back’s in the squad already and it’s probably one of the few positions we don’t need to strengthen this summer, so I’m not too upset about missing out on this lad to be honest.