- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Arsenal Put Together Huge Deal To Try And Lure Rooney From Man Utd
It seems Arsenal have stepped up their efforts to sign Wayne Rooney with Daily Star reporting that we’ve put together a record package in an attempt to try and convince the striker to move from Manchester United this summer.
Rooney has become a surprise target for Arsenal since Fergie revealed he asked to leave the club last season and while many Gooners have laughed off the suggestion, some newspapers are convinced our interest is concrete and we are making real attempts to land him.
The 27-year-old is set to hold talks with new boss David Moyes to resolve his future but all signs are pointing to a move this summer and it seems Arsenal are convinced they can lure him to the Emirates with the Star suggesting we’ve put together a record package that includes wages of around £200,000-a-week.
I’m not convinced by this story but even say we are prepared to break the bank to land Rooney, there’s the small matter of fighting off the competition with the likes of Chelsea, Barcelona, PSG and Monaco also linked. I’d hope Rooney would have the sense to pick us over a move to France, but would he turn down Barca or the Chavs in favour of us? Doubtful.
Apparently Arsene Wenger plans to play Rooney behind Gonzalo Higuain – who’s expected to join from Real Madrid – and it would be a mouthwatering attack if we could pull it off, but I’m not holding my breath.
No doubt it appears we’re finally going to show some ambition in the transfer market this summer, but will that be enough to persuade Rooney to leave the champions in favour of a side that hasn’t won a trophy in eight years?
The only way I see Rooney signing for Arsenal is if:
- He’s desperate to leave United
- No other ‘top’ side comes in for him (namely Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Chelsea and City)
- He’s willing to take a large pay cut
My bet says he’ll stay at United but if he does leave, I really don’t see him joining us.