- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Wenger Eyes Higuain & Benzema Despite Receiving Jovetic Boost
Morning Gooners. Plenty of transfer news today and the search for a new world class striker seems to be hotting up. The Telegraph are reporting that we’ve received a boost in our pursuit of Stevan Jovetic after Fiorentina confirmed he can leave this summer, but it’s understood Arsene Wenger is also ready to make enquiries for Real Madrid strikers Gonzalo Higuian and Karim Benzema.
A new front man is a certainty this summer and with the boss believed to armed with a ‘warchest’ of around £70m, it seems we can finally dream of signing some of Europe’s top names.
Jovetic has been on our radar for some time now and it’s understood we narrowly missed out on signing him last summer after the Serie A club persuaded him to stay for another year to try and propel them into the Champions League.
However, he finally looks set for a move after the Viola failed to secure the top three finish they needed last season and Andrea Della-Valle, the Fiorentina president, confirmed the 23-year-old can now decide his own future and they wont stand in his way if he wants to leave.
“The future is in his hands. From my promise last summer, if he wants to look elsewhere he can do it. If we were to lose Jovetic, there could also be important resources but I hope he can continue here with us.” Della Valle is quoted as saying in the Telegraph
So Jovetic is available but the Italians are believed to be holding out for the full £25m asking price, which the Telegraph suggest has lead Arsene Wenger to look at potentially cheaper alternatives with Madrid pair Higuain and Benzema under serious consideration.
Both strikers are 25 and have the pedigree the boss is looking for as he searches for a striker that can come straight in and hit the ground running. The duo could be made available this summer with Madrid understood to be keen to re-shape their squad after a disappointing campaign and the report claims we’re set to make formal enquiries over their availability.
Benzema has been a favourite of Wenger’s for years so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the managers first choice. However, he’s also likely to be the most unattainable. If I’m honest, I’d take any of the three strikers we’ve been linked with here, but if I had to choose one I’d say Benzema would be my top pick too.
Which striker would you choose? Let us know your opinion below…